I hate August.
My birthday’s in August and, as if that’s not bad enough, I never had a proper party, even as a kid. That’s because everyone’s out of town. Boring beyond measure, August is the month I dread most.
But this one was exciting. Matt showed up in Japan for the World Cosplay Summit. I got to go to Super Smash Con and took my boys to compete in Nebulous Gaming’s weekly tourneys on the Lower East Side. I also brought my BoroughCon-teed torso to both Flame Con and Inbeon Con and met some amazing people who I hope find their way to St. John’s University over Memorial Day weekend 2017. We also got confirmation that I-Con has been revived, and you can count on us to support it — as well as New York’s newest literary convention, HELIOsphere, and its longest-running, Lunacon!
The excitement was diminished, though, by the losses of Willie Wonka and R2-D2, Gene Wilder and Kenny Baker. We at BoroughCon were profoundly saddened by these passings.
We broke the news to many of you via our dynamic Facebook page, but now’s not the time to dwell on them. Instead, here are happier memes posted there in August, the ones you viewed the most:
13) Star Trek smackdown. The Gap Band finally gets the video it deserves.
12) How to treat a cosplayer, and how not to. If “Don’t be a jerk” is too complicated, watch this video. Even if you don’t think you’re a jerk, you should still watch.
11) More GRRM. We’re nearing the end of Game of Thrones’ run, but its creator has more in store for us.
10) Congrats, Tim Zahn! One of our favorite tie-in authors received a lifetime achievement award. Here’s the link to his Facebook fan page.
9) Wal Mart. Where else?
8) Happy 50th birthday, Trek! Here’s the link to Smithsonian’s golden jubilee documentary, Building Star Trek.
7) How do you really feel? We all have contrarian opinions. Don’t judge. Maybe some people are really looking forward to Batman comics based on the Val Kilmer movie. Who knows?
6) Speaking truth to the mass market. Adam Ellis from Buzzfeed nails it and wins the Internet for at least a day.
5)”Oh, you said ‘Wookiee’?” Long, long ago, on a wonderfully diverse and peaceful inner-city street far, far away …
4) Taarna! Taarna! Happy 35th anniversary to animation masterpiece Heavy Metal!
3) Dead cat drones. A taxidermist and a flight engineer team up. What’s weird about that?
2) Sheikha America. The Star-Spangled Avenger in a hijab. Why not? Courtesy of Hijabi Hooligan.
1) The Big Reveal! But by far the most viewed images were a couple pieces of a puzzle we’ve been working on since we first formed our team. After relentless months of design, notes, redesign, refinements, we have a mascot who represents everything that BoroughCon is about. She’s fun-loving, street-savvy, down-to-earth. Attractive without ostentation, stylish on a budget, she’s the russet-skinned, caramel-eyed, ponytailed girl next door bound for bigger things. But this year she’ll be hosting you at BoroughCon. You’ll see her all over the St. John’s campus, adorning directional signs showing you which way to your next event. You’ll see what she looks like cosplaying her original characters from video games, comics, anime and superhero movies.
She hasn’t told us her name yet. Maybe you’ve already met her. If so, we’d love to know what to call her.
Regardless, please join the BoroughCon team in welcoming our newest member! (Maybe August isn’t so bad after all.)